Literary tattoos for the logophile in you


I am as fascinated by a beautifully done tattoo as much as the next person. For a logophile this fascination is easily doubled when it's a literary tattoo.
“...books change lives, in big ways and small, from the simple desire to spend a few quiet hours in a comfy chair, swept away by a story, to the profound realization that the reader is not alone in the world, that there is someone else like him or her, someone who has faced the same fears, the same confusions, the same grief, the same joys.
Word lovers all over the world would agree with Roxanne J. Coady and would attest to the fact that some words and some stories are simply unforgettable. Because of this, it is hardly a surprise that some would choose to immortalize this profound feeling with a tattoo.

Personally, I don't think I have the the pain threshold or level of decisiveness needed to commit to a tattoo for my entire life. But in an alternative world where I was more adventurous, pain-resistant and maybe slightly cooler(?) I'd pick one of these literary tattoos to go with!
Links: 1 | 2 | 3

Love Tolkien and have a serious case of wanderlust? John Green sure has a way with words. The timelessness of Peter Pan.
Links: 1 | 2 | 3

To Kill a Mockingbird and its nuggets of wisdom. Does William Ernest Henley bring back memories of college? Some Kurt Vonnegut for your soul?
Links: 1 | 2 

Book junkies, feel that? The sacred simplicity of a quotation mark.
Links: 1 | 2 | 3

Edward Lewis has got it right. Wilde tells you how important it is to be earnest. Take a trip to your childhood with The Little Prince.
Every once in a while you come across a line while reading a book that just stops you in your tracks. You go back and read it over and over again and commit it to your memory. A few of the lines that stood out for me are these. I can actually see myself loving these words in the years to come and I think they'd make splendid tattoos.

“The stars set fire to my eyes.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

“Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

“Words were different when they lived inside of you.”

“It's such a silly little thing, the heart.” 
― Ned Vizzini, It's Kind of a Funny Story
Tell me: 

What literary tribute do you have inked on your body? How many do you have?
And for those who do not have any what line would you choose to have a permanent relationship with?



11 comments :

  1. Love this post!
    I do not have any tattoo (I also lack the level of decisiveness you mentioned). But I absolutely adore quote tattoos on other poeple. But IF I had to choose one, I would definitely go for something by Tolkien or Diana Gabaldon. Their novels touched me like no others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those! :D Tattoo's don't hurt nearly as bad as one would think. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo that shows my love for reading, Disney and HP at the same time. Since I'm still not sure what to get, I'll wait until I find THE thing for me, but I do love some of these examples! The simple Peter Pan silhouettes behind the ear is something that really appeals to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love those tattoos! I currently have one tattoo but it is a song tribute :) This is making me really want to get another one though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting a literary tattoo have a high place in my bucket list!I've always wanted to get one,and I hope it will happen one day!
    Love all the tattoos you've mentioned.They're so simple yet beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful! I love looking at literary tattoos. I haven't gotten mine yet but I plan to get a line from Shel Silverstein on my left foot that says simply "Anything can be". [:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a book tattoo yet but I plan to! I'm playing to get "Always" in Elvish on my wrist, so I can have both my Harry Potter tattoo and my Lord of the Rings tattoo in one. Then I plan to get "We're all stories in the end." on the side of my forearm like the Tolkien one at the top. I might even get the Harry Potter page stars somewhere as well. I love all the tattoos you shared, it makes me want to go get mine even sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post. I am always pinning photos of cute tattoos including bookish related ones. I'd love to get a Harry Potter tattoo someday I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I want to get a tattoo but I'm so scared I'll get bored of it and then start to hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have any tattoos and I don't think I have the guts to get something permanently etched on my skin but if I had to get something it would probably be a quote from Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher because that book really affected me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine says, on my back, upper right,
    So we beat on
    Boats against
    the current
    With a little boat
    - The Great Gatsby

    ReplyDelete

Words are powerful - Please use yours wisely.

I read and appreciate all comments, so do feel free to leave some comment love! :)